Welcome to the new Family of Jewells blog.
These days we're all so busy that it's hard to find time to sit down and have a chat, or to pick up the phone and tell someone, "I was thinking about you today." So why not, I thought, give this a shot. An open forum for all things Jewell. Like it or not--we're all a part of this big, crazy family together--and whether you were born into it or simply guilty by association, we're sure glad you're here!
So why not take a moment to share a story, be it funny, sad, or even boring, because it's the stories that keep this family going--our history, our present, and our future. Think of all the stories that get told over and over again; here's a great place to write it down. Or the stories that so often get forgotten, and now there's a place to remember it. Or maybe you just want to stop by and say, "you know, I've been having one of those days and I was thinking about ____ today." Whatever it is, say it, tell it, share it. That's what family's for.
Blogging might be new to some of us, so if you're having trouble, shoot me an email and I'll try and walk you through it. And, send me your email to make sure I get your email and name on the authors list so you can start posting. Remember, leaving comments on the posts and responding to others is another great way to get the discussion going.
So I know we're all busy and maybe we won't have time to keep this up as often as we'd like, but I'd sure love a chance to try. Hope you enjoy!
With love,
Kristin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am definitely in! Sounds like a great idea...Especially since this family is far from uneventful!!!
This will be my first blog ever! My first comments will be.."Thank You Kristin" and..."Happy Birthday Jason!"
I'm so excited you guys are up for it! I think it will be a lot of fun! Love you guys!
-Kristin
My first comment is - why didn't we do this sooner? I have thought over the years of doing a newsletter but my life has always been too busy. I already have a gazillion stories
Is the suspense mounting?
Okay - it's a Kelly story (fitting for today) and a Jason story (also fitting for today). I was visiting at the Goodrich home when Jason was about 3. It was someone's birthday (don't remember who) and we had pitched in and bought a beautiful cake. It was sitting on the kitchen table and my 3-year old decided to dip his fingers in for a taste while alone with the cake in the kitchen.
Wellll, the cake was soooo good that he tried a few more tastes. Kelly walked in and screamed when she saw the cake and the frosting filled face of Jason. Jason started bawling and Kelly was all upset that she made him cry. She then proceeded to dip her fingers into the cake and was licking them with abandon (she needed to get it on her face just like Jason).
We all started to run to the kitchen as soon as we heard her scream. By the time any of us arrived on the scene, Kelly and Jason were enjoying the beautiful cake together. Jason had stopped crying and was giggling and Kelly had her big happy grin from ear to ear. She looked at us all as if to say, hey, I'm just eating cake!!
Gotta love those two!!
Kristin, you are the greatest! I'm so glad you came up with this idea. I also have tons of memories. Hope to get the hang of this soon. Here's one story.
When I was at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville for a same day procedure for a muscle biopsy, I arrived early in the morning as requested. I was taken to a little room and I put on a hospital gown and hospital socks. The nurse took my info, and said in a moment she would take me to the prep room for surgery, and Ron would be there waiting for me. She got called to do something and forgot about me in the room and Ron in the waiting room.
It was freezing in there and I was getting very anxious. After about half an hour I walked out into the waiting room (in my gown and socks) looking for Ron. He was nowhere to be found. I went back to my room and waited some more. After an hour I was nearly bursting with frustration so I put my clothes back on and decided to leave.
I still could not find Ron in the waiting room. So I grabbed a nurse walking by and said "I've been waiting in that freezing little room for an hour". She went to find my nurse, and it turns out she went to another area for something and forgot about us. I was crying and said I was going home.
The head nurse came in and tried to console me, and encourage me to go through with the surgery. She said she'd take me to the prep room and I could be sedated and wrapped in warm blankets. We found Ron, he had gone to get some coffee. So I said ok, and soon an anesthesiologist came in and I was still so frazzled that I said to him "Are you here to seduce me?" I meant sedate, and I looked at Ron in horror, realizing what I had said. The doctor just said to Ron, "We'd better not give her any drugs, she's getting too wild already!"
We all laughed, I got sedated and went through with my surgery.
Awesome idea Kristin, I'm in!
I woke up this morning after very little sleep. Between finding out my arthritis news and a noise downstairs - I didn't sleep well. I had set a mouse trap before I went to bed because Sara saw one Monday night while she was painting. I placed it in the usual spot.
Earlier in the day I had set it, also. Within an hour the trap had snapped - but no mouse in it. Just a snapped trap with no peanut butter left.
I went to bed and heard the trap snap as I lay awake in bed. I kept hearing peculiar noises downstairs and was too scared to go look. I figured if someone was robbing me or come to hurt me what could it matter at this point. I couldn't run away!! Hard to run on crutches. After a bit the noise stopped so I went to sleep.
I went downstairs this morning and looked for the mouse trap right away. It was gone. I pulled out the TV (Jason found one there a few weeks ago) but no trap. Now I am a little nervous cuz I needed to go look in my office which is full of stuff from Jim's office and I can barely walk in there. I just didn't know if I could ever find it.
I did. It was next to my office chair and it was alive with his foot caught in the trap. It was sleeping right then and I immediately told Jim he had to come back and get the mouse!! Instead I text Jason. He told me to scoop it up and throw it outside and someone would deal with it later unless I wanted to kill it. Yikes. And no to kill.
Trusting Jason as I do I got a plastic bag and the dustpan and went in to do it. The mouse was awake and it looked at me. It's a small mouse mind you and it made a large grown woman quiver and cry. I scooped it up quick and closed the bag and tied it shut.
I'm assuming I did kill it - it can't breath in plastic right?
Oh, and I have forgotten about pain, arthritis and every other trauma in my life - I can only think of the mouse. Is that good news or bad???
I know my sisters will appreciate a mouse story - especially Megan!!!
Post a Comment